The 2015-2016 Ohio Cattlemen’s Association BEST (Beef Exhibitor Show Total) Program wrapped up May 7 with its annual awards banquet t the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus.
“The banquet is a time to celebrate the many achievements of our BEST participants, both in and out of the show ring,” says Stephanie Sindel, BEST coordinator. “Each participant is recognized for their hard work by family, friends and BEST supporters alike.”
Several representatives from program sponsors — Bob Evans Farms, Burroughs Frazier Farms, Farm Credit Mid-America, M.H. Eby, Ohio Farm Bureau Federation and Weaver Livestock — were on hand to help present awards totaling more than $50,000 in belt buckles, luggage, show materials and other awards.
This year’s BEST program featured 15 sanctioned shows that weaved its way across the state with over 550 youth participants showing 740 head of market animals and heifers.
The following Clinton County youth were recognized:
• This year’s Champion Shorthorn Steer honors went to Emma Mathews. Emma’s steer was sired by Double Vision. She was also recognized as the 3rd Overall Senior Showman and for her perfect attendance at all 15 BEST shows. Emma is the daughter of Jackie Bickel of New Vienna.
• Austin Schneder captured the Reserve Champion All Other Breeds (AOB) Heifer. Austin also earned the title of Reserve Champion Market Heifer. Mike and JoAnn Bartram of Wilmington are Austin’s parents.
• Coming in with the 10th Overall Crossbred Steer was Adam Thompson. Adam is the son of Rob and Jill Thompson of Wilmington.
• Kennedy Thompson rounded out this show season with the Reserve AOB Steer.
• The 4th Overall Intermediate Showman was Olivia Wood. She is the daughter of Monica Wood of Sabina.