Answers to the refugee crisis


The Syrian problem is part of a worldwide refugee (moved outside your country) and internally displaced people (IDP) problem, of which in 2015 there were about 60 million people — about one-third refugees and two-thirds IDP. Syria has 21 percent of refugees, or 4,393 million.

Most Syrian refugees are in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq. Ben Carson visited Jordan camps and reported most people have “an intense desire to return to their country.” Camps have schools, etc. but need more funding.

Besides funding from the host countries, a lot of funding is coming from the US, European Union, UK, Kuwait, Germany and Canada with many other countries contributing smaller amounts. As refugee numbers increase and funding camps becomes tighter, misery increases and more people try to get into Europe, with one estimate of 10 million refugees into Europe.

Canadian immigration (750 to date) and proposed US immigration (Projected 10,000) will have virtually no impact on the Syrian refugee problem,

OPEC oil production currently is about 30 million barrels per day. In January 2014 the price was $113/barrel, $51 in September 2015 and falling.

Comments:

It makes no sense for a major country to believe that working on 0.25 percent (10,000) of a major problem is worth the effort. It may make some people feel useful and politically correct, but it doesn’t help much. We should be working on the other 99.75 percent of the problem. With minor exceptions, refugees should remain in camps with improved funding.

Major US/UN efforts should be put into funding and increasing refugee camps. Based on Turkey’s reported costs of $500/month and estimated 2.2 million refugees, it costs about $7.50/day for each refugee. A $1 surcharge on a barrel of oil would go far to improve UN funding whether it’s OPEC voluntary, assessed, or taxed at the gas pumps.

If immigrants are brought into the US, they should be: Thoroughly vetted; Christian — more easily vetted and most victimized with less return capability; understand English (especially school children) — no significant cost; educational expenses; no Sharia law.

The Syrian problem is like a disease, it should be contained near the source rather than letting it metastisize to the world. Treatment should be humane and compassionate, improving the refugees’ current conditions but not better than pre-crisis conditions, lest we eliminate his desire to return after the cause is eliminated.

Tom Brausch Sr.

Wilmington

comments powered by Disqus