Wilmington evened its record at 2-2 Thursday with a 5-0 win over Hillsboro in South Central Ohio League action on the WHS courts.
The Lady Hurricane, now 1-0 in the SCOL, breezed through the five matches with little difficulty.
“Near the end of a busy week — five matches in eight days — we’re holding up very well,” WHS coach Doug Cooper said. “It’s always good to start conference play with a win.”
Veronica Ilg battled her way to a close win (6-4) in the first set then blitzed Peyton Kidder 6-1 at first singles.
On Tuesday, Wilmington was defeated by Beavercreek 4-1 in the Ohio Tennis Coaches Association State Team Tournament. The match was delayed for two hours by rain, Cooper said.
“We very nearly picked up two courts against Beavercreek, who is always among the best teams in Dayton,” said Cooper. “Now we can focus on the rare opportunity to play on location of a world-class professional tennis tournament Saturday to round out our fifth match in eight days.”
The doubles pairing of Allie Kees and Katie Schroeder posted a 7-6(3), 4-6, 10-6 victory in a wild match.
“Allie and Katie have jumped out of the gate with a nice 4-0 record, showing they are capable of battling through very close matches and coming out on top,” said Cooper.
Aug 18, 2016
@Wilmington High School
Wilmington 5, Hillsboro 0
• Veronica Ilg def Peyton Kidder 6-4, 6-1
• Sophie Reed def Erin Clark 6-1, 6-1
• Brooklyn Nielsen def Breanna Fentler 6-3, 6-0
• Allie Kees, Katie Schroeder def Jessica Moon, Abby Harmon 6-1, 6-0
• Kalista Adkins, Emily Davis def Samantha Stodger, A. Taylor 6-0, 6-1
Aug 16, 2016
Ohio Tennis Coaches Association State Team Tennis Tournament
Beavercreek 4 Wilmington 1
• Veronica Ilg was def by J Bays 0-6, 0-6
• Sophia Reed was def by E. Hu 0-6, 0-6
• Brooklyn Nielsen was def by R Rogers 3-6, 5-7
• Allie Kees, Katie Schroeder def A Reddy, D Venkatram 7-6(3), 4-6, 10-6
• Kalista Adkins, Emily Davis were def by T Liu, V Tiao 1-6, 2-6