MASON — The tennis seasons for East Clinton, Clinton-Massie and Blanchester ended Thursday at the Div. II Sectional tournament at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
For East Clinton, Kylee Hidy and Shelby Michael won a couple of matches before falling to the No. 2 seeded doubles team from Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy.
For Blanchester, Brooke Honaker, Emily Speakman and the doubles pairing of Erin Wilson and Lilly Tedrick won first-round matches.
“I thought the play of Brooke Honaker and our first doubles highlighted a solid day of tennis,” BHS coach Matt Sexton said. “Brooke played well to beat CCD in the opening match. She stayed aggressive overall. She hung in there with the eventual district qualifier in Yuan. Yuan hit some outstanding shots. It was a very entertaining match.
“For Lilly and Erin, I thought that was one of the first times that we played a solid first doubles team, faced adversity, and stayed strong and won the match. They sometimes get down in those matches and fight to get their rhythm back. Against McNicholas, they were able to keep battling and played well to pull it out in the end. They were overmatched in the next round, but I thought they played very well overall against CCD.”
Sexton is already looking to next season and the opportunity to win a seventh consecutive league title.
“In the end, we did some good things this season, but the underclassmen are already thinking ahead to next year and the work that begins on what we’ll accomplish next fall. We have a lot of work to do, but I think they’re ready for the challenge,” he said.
For Clinton-Massie, No. 3 seed Hailey Clayborn won two matches before being ousted as did the team of Claire Carruthers and Hailey Stinchcomb.
October 6, 2016
Div II Sectional Tennis
@Lindner Family Tennis Center
• Isabella Walters (EC) was def by Kara O’Toole (NR) 6-3, 6-3
• Hannah Pickering (EC) was def by Caroline Clifton (GO) 6-1, 6-1
• Emily Tong (EC) was def by Radha Mangu (CCD) 6-0, 6-1
• Morgan Edgar (CM) was def by Emma Hughes (McN) 6-0, 6-0
• Megan Weber (BL) def Echo Robinson (NOR) walkover; was def by Megan Wu (MAD) 6-0, 6-0
• Emily Speakman (BL) def Sarah Farris (BAT) 6-3, 6-0; was def by Jackie Geygan (McN) 6-2, 6-0
• Brooke Honaker (BL) def Sophia Isadore (CCD) 6-1, 6-0; was def by Leanna Yuan (CHCA) 6-1, 6-2
• Hailey Clayborn (CM) def Lucia Boadas (MAD) 6-4, 6-0; def Kara O’Toole (NR) 6-0, 6-0; was def by Leanna Yuan (CHCA) 6-3, 6-2
• Anne Thompson (CM) def Raylyn Morales (FEL) 6-1, 6-0; was def by Kelsey Salmons (GO) 6-1, 0-6, 6-2
• Haley Harrell, Sydney Michael (EC) def Hensley, Rose (NOR) 6-0, 6-0; were def by Reed, Cardarelli (NR) 6-4, 6-0
• Kilee Hidy, Shelby Michael (EC) def Vestal, White (BL) 6-0, 6-2; def Decatur, Stahl (CNE) 6-0, 6-3; were def by Van Den Heuvel, Van Jura (CHCA) 6-1, 6-0
• Erin Wilson, Lilly Tedrick (BL) def Finn, Aguiluz (McN) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4; were def by Wright, Zalants (CCD) 6-0, 6-1
• Amber Winemiller, Megan Wonderly (CM) def Turner, Shelton (BAT) 6-0, 6-0; were def by Shank, Hipsley (CHCA) 6-1, 6-2
• Claire Carruthers, Hailey Stinchcomb (CM) def Kohl, Minardi (McN) 6-0, 6-3; def Partin, Burkitt (BT) 7-6(0), 6-1; were def by Alsfelder, Johnson (CCD) 6-1, 6-2
• Alexis Vestal, Korie White (BL) were def by Hidy, Sh Michael (EC) 6-0, 6-2